AR-DRG Version 11.0
Date published: 1 February 2022
The Australian Refined Diagnosis Related Groups (AR-DRGs) is a classification that provides a clinically meaningful way to relate or group the number and type of patients treated in admitted acute episodes of care to the resources required in treatment. AR-DRGs group patients with similar diagnoses requiring similar hospital services.
AR-DRG Version 11.0 was approved by the Pricing Authority in February 2022 and has been developed in accordance with the Governance Framework for the Development of the Admitted Care Classifications. This included consultation with clinicians and other health sector stakeholders represented on IHPA’s technical and advisory committees.
The Definitions Manual for AR-DRG Version 11.0 is published as a set of three volumes which contain the following products:
- Volume 1: DRGs A13A–I80Z
- Volume 2: DRGs J01A–Z66Z
- Volume 3: Appendices
The AR-DRG Version 11.0 Definitions Manual is available to purchase from the Lane Print website.
AR-DRG Version 11.0 supersedes AR-DRG Version 10.0 and is anticipated to be used to price admitted acute episodes of care from 1 July 2023, pending approval by the Pricing Authority.
Additional resources related to Version 11.0 include:
- Final Report – outlines the changes made for AR-DRG Version 11.0 and details the refinement process and rationale for changes.
- Technical Specifications – details the methodology and technical specifications used in the development of AR-DRG Version 11.0, including:
- data preparation and modification
- Adjacent Diagnosis Related Group (ADRG) intervention hierarchy review
- derivation of the Episode Clinical Complexity Score (ECCS)
- ADRG splitting review.
- Descriptions – provides a full listing of long and short descriptions for Major Diagnostic Categories, Adjacent Diagnosis Related Groups and Diagnosis Related Groups.
- Definitions Manual Appendices – electronic versions of the AR-DRG Version 11.0 Definitions Manual Volume 3: Appendices:
- Appendix A: Diagnosis Code/MDC/ADRG Index
- Appendix B: Intervention Code/MDC/ADRG Index
- Appendix C: Diagnosis Complexity Level Exclusions
- Appendix D: Age and Sex Conflicts
- Appendix E: General Interventions
- Fact sheet – provides an overview of AR-DRGs and Version 11.0 development.
Please note that the purchase and use of these products are subject to licence arrangements.